Menu Bar

 

                   

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Training Tuesday ~ Couch to 5K

It's been nearly 9 weeks since I went to the gym to find them closed and determined that now would be a great time to try that running program I heard about a while back.  First of all, let me say that I am not a runner, but I dream of being a runner.  There is something fascinating about being able to go out for a run and come back feeling like your body has been worked and pushed. 

So, on January 4, 2012, I began the Couch to 5K program with high hopes and big expectations.  The first week of running 60 seconds and walking 60 seconds, I thought I was going to just pass out in the middle of the living room.  Looking ahead to the 5 and 8 minute runs looked nearly impossible.  And I thought they were joking when they mentioned a 35 minute run at the end.  Um, there is no way! 

Well, it is possible and can be done.  Here are some tips and things that I have learned:

  • Stick with it!  The best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, but you have to keep biting. 
  • Start slowly.  If you are not able to run the whole time the Couch to 5K says to, slow down.  Try running slower.  When I started, it was the saddest slowest jog ever.  I could walk faster than I could jog.
  • Make it part of your routine.  Look at the day ahead and determine when the best time to run will be.  Some days, I run in the morning outside, some in the afternoon, and some in the evening.  It just depends on the day's activities.
  • Find what motivates you.  I add a sticker to my family wall calendar each day after I run and it helps to keep me motivated and on track.  Seeing the sticker reminds me that I have done something good for myself and in turn for my family.  When Momma feels better, everybody wins!
What motivates you? 

~Charissa

No comments:

Post a Comment